A short feature of Siliguri Civil Defence Office and its present activities as it stands to-day. The Civil Defence Organization at Siliguri is looked after under the Additional District Magistrate, Siliguri.
1. Location : Office at Ground floor of Siliguri Municipal Corporation Building.
2. Contact No. 0353-2435371 (Office), 0353-2522385 (Control Room).
3. Depot, Store and Training Centre: The Civil Defence Organization Stores its materials at the depot, which is presently situated at a Godown of Food & Supplies at Bagracot, Subhaspally, Siliguri. At present, the organization has no training centre, but to be shortly established, once the new administrative building of Civil Defence set- up comes up.
4. Staff Strength: Present total staff is 24 comprising 2 Sr.S.O.I, 2 S.O.I , 4 Gr-C staff Steno, 1 Typist, 2 Driver and 9 Gr-D staff.
5. Activities: Basic activity is to organize trainings at regular interval of time to create as many as volunteers possible.
6. Bagdogra Office: Name- Bagdogra 'Town Civil Defence Control Centre' (T.C.D.C.C), Located at Matigara.
a. Civil Defence Volunteers are deputed to motor vehicle sections, Siliguri.
b. Civil Defence Volunteers are usually deputed during Puja times to assists local police. Also, arranges control centre of S.D.O office during pujas.
c. During flood, a separate section namely, water wing is being sent from head office, Kolkata to handle the rescue operation. This team is of ten experts. They are stationed at rescue site.
d. Warden Service: It actually warns the civilians about the emergencies and handling the rescue operation there after through a proper delegation. For that, there is a set- up of Wardens-service considering the population ratio.
e. Miscellaneous: Usually, volunteers are being sent to help the departments concerned during any type of emergencies followed by natural calamities or accidents. Recently, the B.D.Os have been designated as Addl.Deputy Controller of Civil Defence and Sr.S.O.Is and S.O.Is are to work under them to combat any disaster at the respective Locality.
f. REGIONAL CIVIL DEFENCE CONTROL CENTRE (RCDCC): The main activity of this section is to receive the air raid warnings and to relay the same to civilians and other important establishments during the War-Time.