Siliguri is situated at the base of the Himalaya mountains in the plains of Darjeeling District by the side of River Mahananda. It is the 2nd largest city in West Bengal and known as the gateway of North-Eastern India.The strategic location of the place makes sure that travellers to the North-East has to pass through Siliguri. It is also the commercial capital of the region. The Sub-Division is bounded on the North by the Sub-Himalayan ranges and on the South by Bangladesh, U-Dinajpur & Bihar On the East lies Jalpaiguri District & Kalimpong Sub-Divn and bounded on the West by Nepal. Siliguri got its Sub-Divisional status in the year 1907 and presently it has got four(4) C.D. Blocks,namely,Matigara,Phansidewa,Naxalbari & Khoribari and one Corporation area - Siliguri Municipal Corporation under its administrative jurisdiction. The Sub-Division comprises of 7 Police Stations & 22 Gram Panchayats and presently 3 Nos. of Assembly Constituencies.The Siliguri Police Station was established in 1903. It was a corrugated tin structure supported by wooden pillars of Sal with wooden flooring. The Siliguri Police Station was established in 1903. It was a corrugated tin structure supported by wooden pillars of Sal with wooden flooring. In 1907 Mitra sammelani was established. In 1927 Mitra Sammelani started its Durga Puja which is continued till date. The Siliguri Union Board was established in 1938. The first president was George Mohbart. Most of the local inhabitants were involved in business of either jute or timber. Besides, there was a large portion of tea garden babus and railway workers in the population. The growth of the town received momentum after the independence of India in 1947. First there were thousands of refugees pouring in from East Pakistan after the country was divided. Then there was the refugees from Assam in the 1960's who lost their home in anti Bengali riot their. During this period there were several wars where Siliguri was in the centre stage. The 1962 war with China, 1965 war with Pakistan and ultimately 1971 war with Pakistan and creation of Bangladesh. Each of these events contributed major inflow of refugees to the town. There was also major influx of business communicates from other parts of the country such as Bihar and Rajasthan who came here to take advantage of the increasing business opportunity in the town. Not surprisingly much of the population in Siliguri has its root in other places. Increasing population demanded facilities for higher education. The Siliguri college was established in 1950. Siliguri College of Commerce followed in 1962. In 1981 came Siliguri Women's college, in 1987 Kalipada Ghosh Terai Mahavidyalaya in Bagdogra and in 1998 Surya Sen College
The Sub-Division is spread over 802.20 sq. kms. and has a population of 4,70,275 as per Census 2001. Siliguri became a sub-division in Darjeeling district exactly a hundred years ago.